Monday 23 March 2015

Sometimes somebody puts a sign on your door -- the sacred trickster is in all of us

The land has always been special to me. People talked to me about the land and the things that I could find there but also I explored, made forts and discovered things for myself. There is a Native Pit house in the forest behind my house and an eagle nest on the river. I have always felt connected and like a bit of a protector of the land but I had the opportunity to show a Native Elder around the land a couple of years ago, and it felt good to tell my story. He told me that I was a protector and that I should continue looking after the land. He told me that I belonged here and should continue listening to the land. OK, so I must admit that these were not his words -- he said much more but these are some of the things I felt from our conversations.
Nanook likes living on the river as much as I do and that is saying a lot

I came home one day to find that a local Native Elder had put this sign on my door 

The door to any house is special and this has been my door for more than half of my life

No comments:

Post a Comment