Tuesday 24 February 2015

House hold animals learn to earn their special place


 My dog Nanook leaned about pigs and chickens and trips up into the mountains. One this alpine traverse Nanook learned not to try to eat a porky pine. I pulled quills with my leather man for over an hour and then we spent the night in the rain. After walking all day, I put my exhausted dog in a boat and then a car and took her straight to an emergency animal clinic.

The next photo is her the next day, laying on a rock I am trying to raise from the yard. The neighbors dog and my cat both wanted to check on Nanook and hear her stories of journeying to the wild and coming back to tell the tail.

While some things have to be learned first hand, being prepared for that moment is something we do mentally when we hear other peoples stories. Lately I have been thinking about the power of a story and practicing telling stories about nature as part of my regular ecological identity work.


No comments:

Post a Comment